Did you know that three-quarters of UK children spend less time outside than prison inmates? According to a recent survey, children are spending less time playing in parks, woodland, and fields, with a fifth of children not playing outside at all on an average day.
Active play is an essential part of a child’s development, so it’s integral that you encourage your family to play outdoors as much as possible. And if that means hiding mobile phones and tablets, then so be it!
Here are 10 stats that suggest you’re not spending enough time outside with your family…
- While 83% of parents think it’s important their children learn to use technology, nine out of ten would prefer them to spend their childhood outdoors, developing a connection with nature.
- Research has found, on average, that children are playing outside for over four hours a week, compared to 8.2 hours a week when the adults questioned were children.
- In the UK 44% of adults never do any moderate physical activity.
- 13% of UK adults are sedentary for longer than 5 hours a day.
- In a poll of 12,000 parents, 80% said their child would rather play virtual sport on a screen than go outside and do it for real.
- A report found two-thirds of parents believe children do not have the same opportunities to play as they did.
- The same report questioned 1,000 UK families for a global report, commissioned by Persil, and found that half the children questioned could not identify an oak tree, but four out of five knew pop star Justin Bieber instantly.
- Half of all parents say they have little or no time available to supervise outdoor play, or even play with their child.
- Four in ten parents blamed the lack of places nearby for children to play safely.
- Nearly eight out of 10 parents said their children refused to play without some form of technology being involved.
Points 8-10 are taken from a study published in the Mirror.
Pretty eye-opening, right? Spending time outdoors isn’t just great for your kids, it’s great for the whole family and is good grounds for spending some quality time together. There’s more to life than tablets and smartphones – there’s an abundance of amazing places that are perfect for exploring on a family day out! Are you spending enough time together? Take our Screen Time vs Family Time test to find out!